[Neworleans-pm] http://neworleans.pm.org/

B. Estrade estrabd at mailcan.com
Fri Oct 17 09:46:26 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:24:00AM -0500, David B. John wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 11:09 -0500, B. Estrade wrote:
>

> > And is there an interest in reviving things, even only "virtually"? I am in Baton Rouge, but am still very much interested in Perl.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brett
> >

> Picked up my first Perl book ("Learning Perl", O'reilly) about 6 months
> ago.  Best read ever.  I'm interested, if only in a "virtual" sense.

Very nice - and thanks for the reply.

My favorite Perl book of all time was Damien Conway's Object Oriented Perl. It covers OOP, but only after going over the set of languages features that makes Perl, Perl.  So it is worth buying simply for the introduction. I am not sure if it's been update for Perl 6, but I don't think its a problem if not.

http://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriented-Perl-Comprehensive-Programming/dp/1884777791

Another favorite of mine is a digest of "The Perl Journel" topics called, Computer Science & Perl Programming. It covers a wide array of important data structure and programming topics.

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Science-Perl-Programming-Best/dp/0596003102

I highly recommend it even if just for the introduction material.  I am still getting my head around MJD's Higher Order Perl, but I'd only recommend this if you're interested in functional programming.  It is very insightful, though.

I use Perl mostly for conceptualizing - I've gotten to the point where I can rapidly protype algorithms and data structures, which is useful in my area of study.  I've also been lurking on the Perl 6 dev list, and I am pretty excited about some of the features that they're putting into the language.

Cheers,
Brett

> David
>
> --