[Neworleans-pm] New Orleans Perl Mongers: Our Future

Dave Cash fieldsofgarlic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 11:42:25 PST 2006

Perl Mongers of New Orleans,

Meeting attendance has been very low lately, as has been mailing list traffic.

I, for one, am not using Perl as much as I used to.  Thus, my interest
and enthusiasm for Perl has waned somewhat.  I still think there are
times when it's the best tool for the job, but I'm widening my toolkit
a lot.

What do the rest of you say?  Are people still interested in Perl?
Are people still interested in meeting monthly to talk about Perl?

One reason I bring this up now is that Fair Grinds, which has
generously made their upstairs space available to us, has another
group that would like to meet at 7:00 every Thursday evening.  We are
the one group that keeps then from doing that, since we have 5:30 to
8:00 blocked out for the second Thursday every month.  Robert feels we
have first dibs on the time slot and wants us to keep it if we still
want it.  But if we're not really going to use it, I propose that we
either:

  1) change our meeting day and time
  2) change our meeting location
  3) stop meeting as regularly, at least until interest in Perl returns

Either way, I propose we release our hold on the 7:00 - 8:00 third
Thursday at Fair Grinds.  Robert and Elizabeth have been very good to
us and I would like to help them out.  But I believe we should make
the decision as a group.

Let me say that if people became interested again and we could get at
least five people to come every month, I'd be into it.

Thanks,

Dave