[Neworleans-pm] Fwd: [ADMIN] Volunteers for older QOTW sample solutions?

E. Strade, B.D. estrabd at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 11:12:21 CDT 2004

=====
http://www.brettsbsd.net/~estrabd

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

----- Original message -----
From: "Mark Jason Dominus" <mjd at plover.com>
To: perl-qotw at plover.com
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:16:07 -0400
Subject: [ADMIN] Volunteers for older QOTW sample solutions?

Now that the quiz writeups are being handled by volunteers, I thought
it might be possible to find people to volunteer to fill in the
missing writeups from the past.

In the past, I haven't always sent out a discussion or a sample
solution for every QOTW.  I wanted to send out reports for each one,
but sometimes I didn't have enough time or energy to do it.  One time
I kept putting off the report so that I could do a little more
research, and then a little more, and then I never did the report at
all.

If you were unsure about volunteering to do a writeup, this would be
an easy way to find out what it would be like.  The job is the same,
but there is no deadline and no time pressure.  If you find that
writing the report is too much work, you can quit, and, nobody will
care, or even notice.  If you do finish the report, it will be a
completely unexpected bonus for the other mailing list subscribers.
So writing one of these old reports is a no-lose opportunity for you.

The quizzes that are missing reports are:

  "Regular" quizzes:

        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/r/010  (Guess-the-animal game)
        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/r/012  (Histogram function)
        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/r/015  (Greek clock)

  "Expert" quizzes:

        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/e/008  (Graham's function)
        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/e/009  (Interactive spelling
        checker)
        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/e/010  (Self-correcting
        guess-the-animal)
        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/e/012  (Expand escape sequences)
        http://perl.plover.com/qotw/e/015  ('patch')

If you think you might like to try this, choose a quiz, read the quiz
question, and then come up with a sample solution for it.  You can do
this by writing the sample solution yourself, or by looking over the
old posts on the perl-qotw-discuss mailing lists to find a sample
solution that someone else posted.  The list is archived at:

        http://perl.plover.com/~alias/list.cgi/1/
        http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.comp.lang.perl.qotw.discuss

Remember that sample solutions for "regular" quizzes may only use
features that are explained in "Learning Perl", by Schwartz and Phoenix.

The sample solution you include should be accompanied by at least a
brief description of how it works and an explanation of any design
decisions that seem noteworthy.  If other people posting to the
-discuss list used different approaches, it would be good if you could
describe them.

If you're going to try to do this, you could drop me a note letting me
know, but you don't have to; it's enough just to surprise me with the
finished report when you're done.  If you want me to give you advice,
or assistance, or anything else, please don't hesitate to send me
mail.  All correspondence, including finished reports, should be sent
to mjd at plover.com.

Thanks!