[Neworleans-pm] Fwd: This week's Summary

E. Strade, B.D. estrabd at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 09:44:39 CDT 2004

=====
http://www.brettsbsd.net/~estrabd

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

----- Original message -----
From: "The Perl 6 Summarizer" <p6summarizer at bofh.org.uk>
To: perl6-announce at perl.org
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:40:17 +0100
Subject: This week's Summary

The Perl 6 Summary for the week ending 2004-09-03
    Another week, a free weekend, and still I haven't started writing
    the
    summary until Monday. Still, I don't actually start at college 'til
    next
    week, so that's all right then.

    We start with perl6-internals.

  Compile op with return values
    The discussion of how to return something from dynamically compiled
    code
    continued with Leo, Dan and Steve Fink all working to clarify and
    address the issues.

    http://xrl.us/cybq

  Library loading
    Dan started the process of nailing down Parrot's dynamic loading API
    so
    that it can be added to the embedding interface. Steve Fink and
    Aaron
    Sherman had suggestions.

    http://xrl.us/cybr

  Pathological register allocation scenarios
    Gregor N Purdy had asked Dan if his work compiler could be made to
    spit
    out structurally equivalent C code to the Parrot code that was
    breaking
    IMCC. His idea being that we could then see how C compilers dealt
    with
    such nastiness. Dan thought that, whilst this was a good idea, it
    would
    be too much work to implement. Gregor wasn't so sure.

    http://xrl.us/cybs

  Dan and Leo demonstrate comic timing. Again.
    14:17:09 GMT Dan: PerlHash test 20 is failing? Anyone know what's up
    so
    we can fix it?

    15:30:41 GMT Leo: It stopped failing at 15:55 CEST (13:55 GMT)

    16:32:29 GMT Dan: D'oh!

    We love it when a patch comes together.

    http://xrl.us/cybt

  PMC Instantiation
    Leo had raised issues with the current scheme for PMC instantiation.
    This week Dan came through with some design which got discussed and
    (I
    think) implemented.

    http://xrl.us/cybu

  Last bits of the basic math semantics
    If you believe Barbie, "Math is hard". She's right, up to a point.
    The
    list's spent a couple of weeks now sorting out the design of Parrots
    underlying mathematical and numeric systems to make sure that maths
    works right (for sufficiently useful values of 'right'). This
    particular
    line of discussion covers rotations and stuff, where you're actually
    treating a number as a bit field.

    http://xrl.us/cybv

  Cross-compiling parrot
    And you thought compiling Parrot on a Win32 box was hard. Robert
    Schwebel wants to cross compile Parrot and isn't having a good time.
    Dan
    wasn't surprised because the Parrot build process still gets most of
    its
    information from the local perl installation which will generally be
    wrong when you're cross compiling.

    Dan noted that part of the problem is that we don't have people on
    the
    team with a need or the experience of doing cross compilation and
    added
    that he'd be thrilled if this were to change. Any patches to make
    things
    better for cross compilers will, of course, be gratefully received.

    http://xrl.us/cybw

  Proposal for a new PMC layout and more
    Leo's concerned that the current PMC layout isn't the Right Thing,
    and
    laid out a proposal describing some changes he thinks would be
    worthwhile. In essence, he argues for removing the requirement for
    fixed
    sized PMC headers and separate variable sized buffers in favour of
    unifying buffers and PMCs so that PMCs become variable sized, thus
    eliminating some time consuming indirection, and space consuming
    overheads.

    Nicholas Clark thought the proposal was interesting, but said that,
    since the proposed changes would be invisible to the user, he'd be
    far
    happier with a functionally complete implementation of parrot with
    stable, useful APIs.

    Dan rejected the proposal (both for technical reasons and because he
    agreed with Nicholas). I don't think Leo was convinced by the
    technical
    reasons, but the "Let's get the interfaces finished!" argument
    clinched
    it.

    http://xrl.us/cybx

    http://xrl.us/cyby -- Dan explains why not.

  Semantics for regexes
    Dan appears to have opened an entertaining can of worms when he
    outlined
    his view of the minimum string semantics required to support a
    regular
    expression engine and asked for comments. Boy did he get them. And
    boy
    did they run off in all sorts of strange directions. Interesting
    directions mind. Anyway, further down the thread, Dan, Chip
    Salzenburg
    and Patrick Michaud seemed to reach something approximating
    agreement
    about the low level semantics required.

    http://xrl.us/cybz

  TODOs and calls for volunteers
    Leo came up with a list of things that need fixing/implementing and
    asked for volunteers. These include sorting out what happens with
    the
    experimental ops, implementing "new_extended" for every PMC class
    and
    finishing up BigInt's MMD and vtable functions.

    He also had some proposals for how we should get the Integer classes
    properly implemented now we know what the semantics will be.

    http://xrl.us/cyb2

    http://xrl.us/cyb3

    http://xrl.us/cyb4

    http://xrl.us/cyb5

Meanwhile, in perl6-language
  Roles trying to be nice
    Abhijit Mahabal had some questions about making roles work. Luke,
    Patrick & Jonathan Scott Duff set about answering them. I'm not
    entirely
    sure that any of the answers so far are enough for Abhijit, but then
    I'm
    not entirely sure that any answer could be enough. At some point you
    have to take things on trust and hope that nothing breaks at
    runtime.

    http://xrl.us/cyb6

  Pipeline performance
    Rod Adams brought up some issues with the performance of
    'pipelining'
    arrays in Perl 5 -- in general doing say "grep {...} map {...} @ary"
    is
    rather slower than writing an explicit loop. He wondered if Perl 6
    would
    be faster. Larry's answer that all lists function lazily if they can
    in
    Perl 6 seems to imply that yes, Perl 6 will be faster.

    http://xrl.us/cyb7

  Synopsis 9 draft 1
    "Synopsis 9?" I hear you ask "But we haven't seen Apocalypse 9
    yet!".
    Indeed we haven't, but that's not stopped Larry writing it. Synopsis
    9
    gives an overview of Perl 6's data structures (hopefully enough for
    anyone who happens to be starting work on a rough cut of a Perl 6
    implementation) which will be covered in more detail when the
    Apocalypse
    itself comes out.

    The usual storm of discussion and general proofreading goodness went
    on.

    http://xrl.us/cyb8

  The range operator
    Joe Gottman wondered if there would be sufficiently lazy way to
    generate
    ranges. In particular, he wanted to know if he'd be able to write
    "reverse (1..5)" and have Perl handle that lazily, or if he could do
    "5
    .. 1 :by(-1)". Larry thought that, if range objects were made
    sufficiently smart, there would be no reason why the "reverse"
    approach
    couldn't be lazy.

    http://xrl.us/cyb9

  Can PRE and POST be removed from program flow?
    John Siracusa wondered if it would be possible to turn off the PRE
    and
    POST Design By Contract hooks in production code to improve
    performance.
    (Leaving aside arguments about whether this is sensible; personally
    reckon that a production environment is where you should be most
    worried
    about values that might fail the PRE/POST hooks). Larry reckoned it
    would be possible to simply clobber the global definitions of PRE
    and
    POST to make them no ops. This wasn't enough for John, who wanted to
    be
    able to get rid of them entirely so even the call to the no op
    didn't
    happen. So Damian showed him the obvious macros...

    http://xrl.us/cyca

Announcements, Apologies, Acknowledgements
    It looks like the Google groups gateway is working again, so I'll
    keep
    with the Google style linking.

    If you find these summaries useful or enjoyable, please consider
    contributing to the Perl Foundation to help support the development
    of
    Perl. You might also like to send feedback or contributions to a
    'getting Piers to OSCON 2005' fund to mailto:pdcawley at bofh.org.uk

    http://donate.perl-foundation.org/ -- The Perl Foundation

    http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ -- Perl 6 Development site

    Or, you can check out my website.