[Neworleans-pm] Re: Group Projects (was Re: hello)

Brett D. Estrade estrabd at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 11:25:50 CDT 2004

I started PerlXUL a while ago, but have not really had a chance to do too
much - it is up on sourceforge at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlxul/ ... As an extension of that, I
am interested in creating a module that would allow one to easily map XML
tags to callbacks - allowing one to create an XML based language that
does *something*.  This is also something I want to incorporate into
PerlXUL.

I encourage all who are interested to join the PerlXUL project, but be
warned that it is still in the "planning" phase.

The ideas about the cable/dns host failover project and the label maker
sound awesome.  I wrote a dirty php script that will sort addresses for
bulk mailing according to ADC/zip code, and that can easily be turned
into a perl implementation.  That would allow for some useful sorting
routines.

The idea about the connected cable/dsl machines also sounds very
interesting.  It sounds like it could quickly become a distributed
storage system that not only would provide failover capabilities, but
allow for load balancing among a group of machines.  Kind of
bit-torrent-ish, but not.  The only issue that I see with just changing
the DNS records is that they take time to propagate throughout the 'net,
so it wouldn't be a complete solution.  The objective would be to have a
the same file on multiple system that would be called at the same time -
winner takes all.  The only problem with that is that if the server that
is doing the main requesting goes down, you are screwed.  This sounds a
little bit like the freecache project I saw on /. a few days ago.

Are there project pages for any of these ideas posted anywhere?

Brett

=====
http://www.brettsbsd.net/~estrabd