[Fwd: [Neworleans-pm] site up, meeting summary...]

Donnie Cameron donnie at solomonstreet.com
Tue Jun 15 14:22:19 CDT 2004

Brett,

I don't remember the names of everyone that was there, and I encourage
anyone, especially Dave Cash, to post a better summary of the last New
Orleans Perl Mongers meeting. But here's one just in case. (For the
record, I'd love to have more than one meeting per month)

The meeting of June 11, 2004 was our second meeting. Five people attended.

- Dave Cash
- David Martin
- David Keeney
- (Brett?)
- Donnie Cameron

Although, in an effort to get to know each other, we discussed a variety
of subjects, five subjects dominated the meeting. To start, Dave Cash
informed us that O'Reilly wouldn't mind us using the Perl Camel on
T-shirts provided that we included some text next to the image. (Dave,
forgive me for not remembering exactly.)

Then, Dave informed us about some new books that O'Reilly had sent to
us. He presented an idea for a Distributive New Orleans Perl Mongers
library in which the books we collect are held by various members of the
group. A web page would keep track of who's got which book and members
that needed a book would be able to "check it out" on the web page and
physically secure it from the person that's holding it.

Later, we talked about SQLite and the advantages it might have over
complex SQL database servers like PostgreSQL. We visited the site and
discussed various aspects, features, and possible uses of the SQLite
library. Dave plans to test the SQLite library by using it to power the
web site for the Distributive New Orleans Perl Mongers Library.

We also discussed a program called Squiggly, which Donnie Cameron has
been developing in his spare time for the last few months. Squiggly
allows a developer to create web sites that interface with databases.
Several members provided important tips for improving Squiggly from a
techincal standpoint as well as good reasons for open-sourcing further
development of the program.

Toward the end of the meeting, we spoke a little about what a wiki board
is and exchanged tips relating to the CGI::Kwiki package.

The wiki board (neworleans.pm.org) was down after the meeting and for a
day or two following the meeting, but it was up soon after.

The Fair Grinds Coffeehouse provided an excellent atmosphere for the
meeting.