[Neworleans-pm] Re: Caught a comment on NewOrleans.pm

Donnie Cameron donnie at solomonstreet.com
Fri Jul 16 11:47:55 CDT 2004

James,

Thank you very much for your comments. I started with voxrox.com today.
The server is already up, running Debian Sarge, and everything seems ok
so far. I plan to start moving some of my Web sites, all of which are
driven by a large Perl program and the PostgreSQL database, to the new
server over the weekend.

Voxrox.com seems a little expensive, but after some research I
determined that they were among the most reliable. I've been having some
really bad experiences with local service providers; no one can keep
their line up for a whole week. This is playing havoc with some of my
billing systems, so I was very sensitive to finding a dedicated machine
that would never go down. I researched the subject thoroughly on Google
and on webhostingtalk.com, which provided some very insightful comments.

I hope everything goes well. I've never colocated or done anything like
that, so I am afraid. I've always set up my own networks and used my own
hosts; I don't mind being down for an hour or two a year. But keeping
your own hosts is impossible in New Orleans. The quality of the high
speed lines that one can find in this city are substandard. I've had
high-speed lines in several other states and going down is normally
somewhat rare. I've gone through several DSL and Cable Internet service
providers, including Bell South, Covad, XO, Cox, and others in this city
and no one can keep a line up for a whole week in a row. Sometimes, as
I'm experiencing now, we go down several times a day for a few seconds.
The most incredible thing is that no one seems to care. The tech support
people around here are impervious to panic. But this is New Orleans; I
don't think being online all the time really matters all that much.

Thanks!!

--Donnie