[Neworleans-pm] Talk Friday December 10 2004

James Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Wed Dec 8 15:02:18 CST 2004

I assume we're still on for my talk at the New Orleans Perlmongers
meeting this Friday night.

The talk is called "Building a CPAN-Ready Perl Extension" and is
designed as a tutorial, i.e., if you bring your laptop and follow the
instructions, you will actually build such an extension.

To participate, you'll need a laptop with:
1. Perl
2. your favorite text editor (the slideshow will contain instructions
for 'vi', but any editor will do)
3. CPAN module ExtUtils::ModuleMaker (see note below)
4. Three tarballs I've prepared for the talk and your subsequent study.
  Go to http://mysite.verizon.net/jkeen/perl/nolatalk/index.html and
download the three tarballs.  The only one that's crucial is:
MM-0.02-code-fragments.tar.gz

Note:  In the course of preparing this tutorial, I had occasion to do a
lot of hacking on Geoff Avery's ExtUtils::ModuleMaker, particularly to
refine the 'modulemaker' command-line utility which we'll be using in
the tutorial.  I've submitted the results of this hacking to Geoff, but
haven't heard back from him yet.  If you'd like to use my (hopefully
improved) version of ExtUtils::Modulemaker, it's the tarball with
version 0.3205 on my web site listed above.

Note:  The website is just the 'personal web space' provided me by my
DSL provider.  It's sometimes cranky and gets "Locked."  If Dave gets
me the info, I'll upload these tarballs to your ftp site on pm.org.

See you (unless there have been some changes I don't know about) Friday
at 5:30 pm at
FairGrinds Coffeehouse
3133 Ponce de Leon

Jim Keenan