perl 6, exegesis 4

Allison Randal al at shadowed.net
Wed Apr 3 14:17:03 CST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:23:27PM -0600, Ralph Mellor wrote:
> fyi, exegesis 4 is out
>
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/01/exegesis4.html
>
> sorry if this is old news.

Nope. As the url indicates, this is new-news. In fact, it was only made
public last night at around 9 pm and (last I checked) still hasn't been
linked from the front page of perl.com.

There's some really good stuff in E4. As usual, it's a good application
of the ideas in the corresponding Apocalypse. Cool new ideas explained
in E4:

- Perl's switch statement (Whoo-hoo!) with a much clearer explanation of
  topic/topicalizers than A4 (I must confess a certain obsession with
  these :)

- The new, improved, smarter =~ (the "smart-match operator")

- Exception handling via CATCH blocks

- The "loop" loop. (I'm serious! :)

And more... okay, quite alot more... :)

Does anyone else think it's totally cool that we'll be able to
abbreviate object method calls within methods? I always got terribly
bored typing "$self->do_something()" over and over again.
".do_something()" is just so much more elegant!

Definitely worth the read if you have time.

Allison

---
To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to
majordomo at hfb.pm.org with the following body:
        unsubscribe nashville-pm-list <emailaddresstounsubscribe>