[Mpls-pm] Food for Thought, on Perl in the Minneapolis marketplace..

Gypsy Rogers gypsy at freeq.com
Wed Oct 21 13:36:28 PDT 2009

Really, it's a self for-filling prophecy in some ways.

As someone who was once a perl evangelist as a developer I find myself
revisiting my position as an employer.

As I try hard to grow my company beyond myself and add talent in hopes of
getting some low end people to take on my low hanging fruit work and leave
me to deal with the more heady stuff what I find is everyone who answers to
the call of "perl" has an ego and demands a high salary. Where as for the
same jobs in php I can find cheap labor who is easier to direct and work with.

I don't know the answer, because I really think perl has been choking on
it's own culture of snootiness for a very long time. the perception is that
perl is hard, those who don't know it scream it when it's thrown at them,
and those who do know it foster this perception because it makes them seem
superior.

Personally, I think the problem is bigger then any one thing this group can
do, and it may just be too late.