[Mpls-pm] Call for lightning talks for October

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Sat Sep 17 21:54:24 PDT 2005

So next month we're planning to do lightning talks.

I'm thinking that 90 minutes or so with a break in the middle should be
good.  At conferences where this is done there's usually a pretty strict 5
minute time limit but in our case I don't know that we'll have 16
different talks, so I'm thinking 5-10 minutes per talk.

Please send talk submissions to me directly so I can put together a
schedule.  The talk submission should be a title, a very brief description
(1-2 sentences) and how much time you want.  Multiple submissions are
great, but if we get lots of submissions I'll just pick one.

I'd like to come up with a schedule by the beginning of October so please
submit yours soon.

Some possible talk ideas:

- Some modules on CPAN I love
- Some modules on CPAN I have to use but hate
- A great module idea
- Why I love Perl
- Why I hate Perl
- Why I love technology X
- A cool app/tool I wrote
- Cool thing you've never heard about

The great thing about lightning talks is that you really don't need to be
a super-experienced presenter to put together 5 minutes worth of stuff.

I'd also encourage people not to worry about slides too much either.
Realistically, you only have time for a few slides at most, so this isn't
something that should you should spend lots of your time on.  And of
course, with a 5 minute talk, it's easy enough to have no slides at all.

Also, for those who are interested, the tool I used to make my slides for
the last talk is called Spork and it's on CPAN.  There's also a really
nice plugin called Spork::Hilite for doing cool code highlighting.

-dave