[Mpls-pm] Generating documentation from Perl

Ian Malpass ian at indecorous.com
Tue Jan 18 14:27:11 PST 2005

Shane McCarron wrote:
> I would like it to generate a main "index" page that has all of the
> modules processed, links into them, and then each module in its own page
> that includes all of the documentation - perhaps even with a table of
> contents.  We are doing this now with pod2html, but it is sort of lame.

Stuff that would be nice:

* Pretty stylesheets / easily styleable.
* Nice HTML (pod2html is validish, but a bit ugly).
* Headers and footers and stuff.
* References/cross references that work when hyperlinked (without
breaking the links in the POD).
* Links back to a main index.
* A main index for all the modules in the app/system/clump/whatever.
* Nice tables of contents.

CPAN's perldoc-ing looks nice, as perldoc.com's.

There's OODoc[0] which was mentioned on london.pm when this came up last.

A non-lazy person could roll their own with Pod::Parser or Pod::Simple
or something. Or... Pod::XML! Maybe. But Laziness is a Virtue, and we
must be heading into wheel-reinvention space here.

Ian

[0] <http://search.cpan.org/dist/OODoc/lib/OODoc.pod>