[Mpls-pm] Fwd: Perl format string integer wrap vulnerability

Joshua ben Jore twists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 09:29:02 PST 2005

I'm changing my topic. Instead of doing anything on using delayed
evaluation expressions, I think its worth talking about writing
modules that analyze compiled perl. I wrote one
(http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=513486) in half an hour yesterday to
find modules with exploitable sprintf bug. Its at . To use it, you
just load it.

I used it to produce a report of exploitable code in core perl and the
stuff I had in my site-lib. http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=513527

BTW, does anyone know how to get perl to do something more useful than
segfault when given a bad format? The bug is triggered by using a
format like "%" . ( $n + MAXINT ) . "d". The number is getting
assigned into a signed integer and this is where the problem is, I
guess. Somehow this allows an attacker to write to arbitrary memory.
How?

Josh