[Mpls-pm] looking for a job

Brian Phillips bpphillips at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 06:22:01 PDT 2005

 Hello,
I noticed someone suggested posting your resume to this list a couple weeks
ago so I thought I'd follow that advice. I've pasted a rich-text version
below but if you're unable to view it, you can see an HTML version at:
http://resumes.hotjobs.com/brian__phillips/perlengineer

Let me know if any of you know of any perl opportunities I might be a good
fit for. I prefer a permanent position to contract but would be interested
in hearing about any jobs out there that might not be featured on the
standard job web sites.

Thanks,
Brian

    * Brian Phillips *   * 15629 Cornell Trail
Rosemount, MN 55068
Home: (651) 423-3963
brian at thephillips.info
** *
------------------------------
 *Objective*
 To become a valuable member of a software development team by using my
skills at writing efficient, maintainable and reusable code.
 *Experience*
*FanBuzz, Inc* July 2002 - Present *Senior Software Engineer* Minnetonka, MN My
programming experience at FanBuzz has been primarily perl, utilizing
HTML::Mason as a templating language and MySQL as a DB backend. I started as
a storefront engineer working with small functionality tweaks and bug fixes.
Since then, I have gradually become the primary engineer in charge of
large-scale application development and design, working with both our
storefront and backoffice teams. This includes a promotion to senior
software engineer in the Fall of 2004. Some of my major accomplishments are
listed below.

*·* Greatly broadened FanBuzz's customer base by integrating with
Amazon.com<http://Amazon.com>as a Platinum-level merchant. The system
I designed and developed managed
bi-directional data feeds including product and inventory information as
well as orders shipments and refunds via their SOAP API with minimal human
intervention.

*·* Helped design and implement abstracted data import and export system to
manage integration with vendors and clients. This system separates the
transport of data from the generation or processing of that data to enable
easy error recovery at any stage of the process. We use this system in our
integration with Commerce Hub, Amazon.com <http://Amazon.com>, Commission
Junction, NBC/Universal and others.

*·* Provided online shoppers with the option of paying by check by
integrating with CheckFree using their SOAP API. This reduces our fraud risk
and decreases handling costs of processing mailed checks.

*·* Improved customer experience by developing full-featured product search
engine technology. This search engine's technology includes word-stemming,
spelling correction, fuzzy-logic matching and various limiters based on
product classification, price ranges and boolean operators.

*·* Developed perl API to ZebraCard ID card printers to allow our warehouse
management system to automatically print membership cards on demand for
specific orders as components of a regular merchandise pick.

*·* Integrated our customer address and catalog request functionality with
USPS's address standardization web API. Standardized addresses help in
negotiating lower shipping rates and make cleaning and de-duping of catalog
lists a much simpler matter.

*·* Built interface with Borderfree to allow Canadian customers to see
accurate exchange rates, taxes and duties at the time of purchase as well as
streamlining getting packages through customs.
 *Northwestern College* December 1997 - June 2002 *Web Team Lead* Roseville,
MN My time at Northwestern College started small as a work-study position
and grew into a Web Team Lead position by the time I left. I utilized many
different technologies ranging from CGI Perl scripts to PHP to Java
Servlets, JSPs and the Velocity templating engine with MySQL and Informix on
the backend.

*·* Greatly expanded Northwestern's web presence by designing and
implementing multiple web applications from the ground up including an
in-house project tracking system, online ticketing solution and
alumni/student career networking application.

*·* Designed and coded large-scale web applications including a secure
online credit card donation, content management system and event
registration system.

*·* Utilized Java, XML, XSLT and CSS in structuring an Enterprise Portal
based on Novell's Portal Services infrastructure.

*·* Implemented e-Commerce security technologies including asymmetric and
symmetric encryption and PKI solutions.
 *Education*
*Northwestern College* May 2000 *Bachelor of Science*
Broadcasting Roseville, MN Maintained 3.90 GPA; Completed 4 year degree in 3
years