[mplspm]: In a sorted list

Tim Burlowski tim.burlowski at veritas.com
Fri Mar 22 11:07:23 CST 2002

I read my mail in FIFO, so maybe someone has already submitted this
solution. It's a cookbook entry 5.14 from the Perl Cookbook.

#!/usr/bin/perl
my @list=(1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6);
my %count = ();
for(@list){
   $count{$_}++;
}
foreach (keys %count) {
    print "$_ occurs $count{$_} in file\n";
}

If you like terser lines.

#!/usr/bin/perl
my @list=(1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,6);
my %count = ();
$count{$_}++ for (@list);
print "$_ occurs $count{$_} in file\n" foreach (keys %count);

tim burlowski

Previously Josh Aas(josha at mac.com) wrote:

> Hey MPM,
>     If I have an alphabetically sorted array of strings (containing up to 2
> million strings), and I want to find out if any strings in that array equal
> a certain string (yes or no, not how many), what is the fastest way to do
> that search? This seems basic to me, I just can't come up with the answer
> and I have an hour to do so. Thanks a lot!
> -Josh

tim burlowski