[mplspm]: Problem with dynamic linking XS -- static Perl binary??

Mark Conty Mark_Conty at cargill.com
Thu Mar 14 12:09:57 CST 2002

For the life of me, I can't get an HP shared library to resolve all its
dependencies, resulting in run-time errors.  I've followed all the
suggestions and hints, but I'm out of options and nearly out of patience.

I'm not sure it's entirely rational -- it could be argued that *any*thing
I do might not be particularly rational, come to think of it!  -- but I'm
*really* averse to having to build this XS by way of setting LINKTYPE to
'static'.

Has anyone else found themselves facing no alternative but to build a
[partially] static Perl binary?  Comparing the fully dynamic file to the
resulting partly-static/partly-dynamic, the size difference is 1.4MB vs.
5MB.  I s'pose it's not *that* big of a difference, but I'm just not quite
ready to throw in the towel.  (I guess even the native Perl isn't *entirely*
dynamic -- I believe DynaLoader has to be linked in as static for it to work.
At least, that's the case under HP-UX.)

Anyway, does anyone have any words of wisdom, consolation, or anything else
they might be able to pass along, relating to this issue?

Thanks!
--
Mark Conty
APS/NAGO IT Group