[Moscow.pm] Fwd: Rakudo Perl 6 development release #28 ("Moscow")

Andrew Shitov andy shitov.ru
22 05:17:35 PDT 2010

The April 2010 release is code named "Moscow" in recognition of .
and their invitation of Jonathan Worthington, one of our core develepors,
to speak at the Russian Internet Technologies 2010 [1] conference.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Moritz Lenz <moritz  faui2k3.org>
Date: Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Subject: Rakudo Perl 6 development release #28 ("Moscow")
To: perl6-announce  perl.org, perl6-language  perl.org, perl6-users  perl.org

On behalf of the Rakudo development team, I'm pleased to announce the
March 2010 development release of Rakudo Perl #28 "Moscow".
Rakudo is an implementation of Perl 6 on the Parrot Virtual Machine
(see http://www.parrot.org). The tarball for the April 2010 release
is available from http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/downloads .

Rakudo Perl follows a monthly release cycle, with each release named
after a Perl Mongers group. The April 2010 release is code named
"Moscow" in recognition of . and their invitation of Jonathan
Worthington, one of our core develepors, to speak at the Russian Internet
Technologies 2010 [1] conference.

Some of the specific changes and improvements occuring with this
release include:

* Expressions that begin with a variable and end with a circumfix now
properly interpolate into double-quoted strings, like "@array.sort()"
or "%hash<key>".

* Item assignment now has tighter precdence than list assignment, so
both 'my @a = 1, 2, 3' and '$a = 1, $b = 2' magically work.

* Most of the DateTime built-in type has been backported from the
"alpha" branch, and is now accompanied by a Date type for date-only
calculations.

* Many obsolete uses of Perl 5 constructs are now caught and give
helpful error messages.

* As always, many additional small features and bug fixes make
working with Rakudo more pleasant.

* Rakudo now passes 30,931 spectests. We estimate that there are
about 39,000 tests in the test suite, so Rakudo passes about 79% of
all tests.

For a more detailed list of changes see "docs/ChangeLog".

The development team thanks all of our contributors and sponsors for
making Rakudo Perl possible. If you would like to contribute,
see http://rakudo.org/how-to-help , ask on the perl6-compiler  perl.org
mailing list, or ask on IRC #perl6 on freenode.

The next release of Rakudo (#29) is scheduled for May 20, 2010.
A list of the other planned release dates and code names for 2010 is
available in the "docs/release_guide.pod" file. In general, Rakudo
development releases are scheduled to occur two days after each
Parrot monthly release. Parrot releases the third Tuesday of each month.

Have fun!

--
Andrew Shitov
andy  shitov.ru | http://shitov.ru