[Montreal-pm] Command line tool application framework

Olivier Bilodeau obilodeau at inverse.ca
Dim 4 Mar 18:52:26 PST 2012

> Je vais batir une très simple application CLI. Tant qu'à faire je me
> suis dit que ça serait plaisant de profiter de l'opportunité pour
> utiliser un des frameworks existants (car je pense convertir notre
> grosse application au travail).
>
> Alors, quelqu'un a une opinion sur un de ses frameworks?
>
> App::Cmd
> App::Framework
> CLI::Application
> CLI::Dispatch
> CLI::Framework
> MooseX::App::Cmd
>
> ou a une autre suggestion?

I went with MooseX::App::Cmd for the Moose learning although
CLI::Framework (CLIF) seems definitely the more powerful one..

As discussed in the last meeting, I had something pushed on github but
not of any value.. Well, now it's of "little" value: it can push a Perl
Weekly[1] through an instapaper account to your kindle.

https://github.com/obilodeau/pw2kindle

Ideally I would like to do the 'instapaper' text (and relevant image)
grinding myself but I have another project that needs attention right
now (shameless plug: Hacker Jeopardy @ HackUS 2012[2]) so I won't touch
it for a month or two since I get what I was looking for.

The Moose learning was awesome! I love that stuff although I barely used
it. ;)

The frame that App::Cmd provides needs some effort learning but I also
see a lot of benefit in the boiler plate removal. That said, I spent
some time in the debugger tracing problems blaming issues on Moose
although it turned out that it was a user problem.. Well, to my defense,
they don't talk too much into Unit testing in the App::Cmd
documentation.. So I spent some time thinking it was a MooseX::App::Cmd
to App::Cmd problem instead of me misusing the framework trying to
test.. In any case, I traced it and fixed it, it was my fault using new
instead of prepare.

That learning was awesome! I can't wait to learn more by reading the
Perl Weekly on my kindle ;)

Feel free to check out the code and rant, me getting better depends on
you doing so! :)

Cheers!

[1]: http://perlweekly.com/
[2]: http://www.hackus.org/