Meeting tonight

Daniel Lower danielplower at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 06:17:12 PDT 2020

Hi,

That's good I've been doing lots of stuff recently all below.

*Bramble *

Occurred to me I have a Rapberry Pi 3B and a Raspberry Pi early one going
spare Buy another 3 cheap Pis and would have a Bramble.
They're getting down to £25 or £20 in some cases so might be worth thinking
about.

*Brtfs*

Talk of Fedora Core using BRTFS
https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/fedora-33-btrfs-by-default-test-day-2020-07-08/

Makes me wonder I maybe should format my NVm SSD with BRTFS apparently it's
better for them.
Also have a large partition to  keep video files on used XFS which is good
for large files apparently.

*Google Coral USB Accelerator*

I bought one for Tensor flow experimentation as can plug it in a Raspberry
Pi and do real time image classification as well as making learning faster.
There is the Intel one as well but I fancied Tensor Flow more.

*CourseA.*

Signed up to them they have some meaty courses that seem to be worth
something. Anyone else tried them?

*Clojure*

I bought IntelliJ recently well I like vim or emacs but good to go the next
level.
Quite fun learning functional programming.

*Motion Eye OS*

Bought a Raspbery Pi 4 recently with High res cam and the 16mm zoom lens,
to watch my Bird feeder and learn machine learning in the process.
So far only a pigeon to train with but hopefullly will get there.
Anyone experience with this my first go gave too many videos to browse.
Added a editable Mask which then also didn't work
only recognising the arrival of a Pigeon not the eating there of. Turned on
Smart Mask and Auto Threshold now will see how that goes.

*Nexdock 2 Touch*

I ordered one that's comming August by the look of it. Talk now you only
need two cables to connect a Raspberry Pi 4
http://nexdock.com/support/raspberrypi-4/ aka Option 2.

*Machine Learning*
I bought the O'Reilly Hands On Machine Learning with SciKit-Learn Keras and
Tensor Flow 2 book after the intro course I'l probably find
a matching course for the book.

*IBM M900 Tiny PC *

Well since I got IntelliJ looked for a small Intel box to run a full 64bit
Genuine Linux on to run yikes java and well experimental stuff.
Bought myself an IBM M900 with 8GB ram 128GB SSD for £140 + £10 postage.
Not bad I thought, have since stuck a 1TB NVM 2e PCI express card inside it
blindingly fast now
and bonus have one spare SATA connection so hooked up an old slow drive for
backups. What is the programme of choice for backups now? rsync, tar? I
hear rsync does
incremental...

*Optane*

>From the above if I do build a VR machine eventually I think I will get
Intel Optane which is even quicker and surprised it's out already.

*POE Hat for Pi (Power over Ethernet for those who don't know)*

I was planning on putting the bird table camera outside but alas don't
think the lens is waterproof and something unnerving about having
nearly £200 worth of gear unattended. So now either I send it back or will
need another use for my Poe Hat any ideas.

*Udemy*

Signed up for some Udemy courses as they were cheap as chips a Pfsense
router one some machine learning with Anaconda and Python sorry
it seems to have won the science data analysis language race.

*Wayland*

Was chatting on Freenode #linux  and it came up. Anyone tried it? I see
it's still not ready for Prime Time as of 2019 and there were some
criticisms on event injection...
General info
https://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Is-Wayland-the-New-X

*Zsh*

As I'm on the terminal alot these days felt like trying another shell. Even
the act of switching is interesting what's the zsh bash shopt equivalent of
shopt -s checkwinsize I wonder.

*Finally to seemingly stay on topic.*
Having thought about Zsh I thought I bet there is a Perl shell and sure
enough Psh exists though doesn't look too active.

https://gnp.github.io/psh/

That's all sorry if it's long but it's been interesting times.

Cheers,