Slides Online and Web Site in git

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Wed Oct 20 16:44:13 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 09:36:36PM +0100, Oliver Gorwits wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2010, at 11:52, Tom Hukins <tom at eborcom.com> wrote:
> > If you would like to edit the site, please
> > "git clone git://git.scrubhole.org/miltonkeynes-pm.git" and let me
> > know when you've published your changes somewhere public.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but if I don't have a public server you can
> pull changes from, is there a standard way to "publish"? (I ask for
> the benefit of the list/archives as well)

That's "the right question" in that I'm trying "agile documentation"
by not explaining anything until someone asks.  Apologies for the
buzzword bingo air quotes.

If you don't have your own public server, the cool kids seem to push
to github and gain a nice GUI.  Sorry, I'm an uncool command line
person and I host my own repository.  If you don't like Github,
there's also Gitosis and probably others - you might even try
persuading me or Colin to host a repository for you.

> Pointers to preferred online docs for a git newbie are a valid reply :-)

I recommend http://progit.org/ mostly because it's very well written
but also because Scott gave an excellent tutorial at YAPC.  I also
admire his bravery for speaking at a Perl conference as a non-Perl
developer.

So that's my subjective, irrational reply.  Hopefully someone else can
give a more reasoned, thought through answer.  I've already mildly
broken merging Colin's work in that I created duplicate commits with
the same checksums, but hey, that's the fun of learning.

I figure this helps us share neat git tips as much as anything else.

Remember, we all lose our annual bonuses if one person commits a
mistake so let's proactively be too scared to do anything useful.
this is a blame culture.