Cheap Perl books == false economy?

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Sun Jul 12 15:30:28 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:12:56PM +0100, Andy Selby wrote:
> A guide to the module Dont::GetDistracted::WhenYouShouldBeLearningPerl.
> Or hang it over my head like the sword of Damocles to motivate myself
> to learn Perl

Yeah, I want that one too.  I love hearing people tell me about all
the neat things they've used Moose and its friends for.  But I seem to
spend my weekends away from the computer..

> > I'm happy to talk about this on Tuesday if I'm not fast asleep..
>
> Sure thing, I promise to be more serious by then

Please don't be. ;)

> Review them here http://birmingham.pm.org/revs/main
> The page needs a few recent reviews.

Nice prompting.  I've reviewed some of the CPAN modules I like:
http://cpanratings.perl.org/user/tomhukins

But I haven't reviewed any books.  There's also http://books.perl.org/
and a few helpful reviews on the london.pm.org site.  Josette at
O'Reilly tried to hassle me into getting us to review books at some
point, so if there's a vague MK book-reviewing ambition we can get
hold of review copies of their books.  With the usual "Tom not doing
it" caveat, naturally. ;)

All of which somehow reminds me of a book review that made the front
page of Slashdot, with the following omitted:
  Version control is like teenage sex, everybody is talking about it,
  most people ain't doing it and those that are doing it are doing it
  wrong.
(with the names changed to protect Dean)

At least, that's how I remember it..