Technical Meeting: Thursday 15th November 2007

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Thu Nov 8 13:44:30 PST 2007

Milton Keynes LUG and Perl Mongers will hold an evening of technical
talks on Thursday 15th November 2007 at the Open University.  Please
come and join us.  Try to arrive before 7pm - the talks start at 7.15.

Our guest speaker, Dave Cross, will tell us about Template Toolkit, a
powerful system for templating various types of text-based output.

Oliver Gorwits will describe his journey in finding a scalable,
long-term solution to the monitoring of a large campus network. Trying
to decide amongst dozens of similar applications, finding ones which
work well together, and avoiding reinventing the wheel proved near
impossible.  There will be a review of what's out there for network
monitoring, and the solution which was eventually arrived at.

Adam Lowe will tell us about Projects at the National Museum of
Computing based at Bletchley Park.

And we might have a few 5 minute talks too - let me know if you'd like
to present one.

If you know anyone who might want to attend this meeting, please pass on
this message.

We're meeting in the Systems Seminar Room at the Open University.
Here's how to find it:
  See links to campus, local and regional maps at the bottom of this web
  page:
  http://www3.open.ac.uk/contact/

  Enter The OU campus (signposted Open University, not Open University
  East), via Brickhill Street (V10).

  Take the middle lane past Security (on the left), through the
  barriers, and then turn right on to Ring road East.

  Ahead you will see the road narrows to single lane on your side of the
  road, where there are no entry signs.  Just prior to this is the
  entrance to a car park on the left (marked East parking extension on
  the campus map).  Take this left turn and head to the top right (North
  West on the campus map) of the car park.

  The meeting is in Venables Building, specifically the section marked
  South East on the campus map.

  Take the path (marked in yellow on the campus map) East from the car
  park toward the centre of campus.

  Take a right under an archway in to the courtyard area bound by
  Venables South, East, and South East, keeping right (heading North
  East on the campus map), behind the building section marked South
  East.

  You will find a double door on your right, which is the entrance to
  the South East section of Venables Building.

  I'll see you there, as these are usually access controlled doors, so
  you will probably need to be let in.

See you soon,