CPAN install nightmare

Jonathan Stowe jns at gellyfish.com
Mon Mar 27 23:53:45 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 23:40, Ian Cameron wrote:

> I found out which module it was, and realised that it is already available on
> the system, so hopefully it won't be necessary to update it, thus avoiding the
> perl update.

I thought that this behaviour had gone away quite some time ago, also
over the last few years modules that are in the core that are getting
updated with every Perl release have increasingly tended to get
dual-lives in the Core and in the CPAN so this is less likely to happen
anyway, if something still has a dependency on a particular version of a
module that is in the Core then it's either bad luck or laziness on
someones part. Save the world adopt a module that has been abandoned to
the core!

> Presumably you can't disregard the new updated perl if you have to get a newer
> version to install a module though?  I'm guessing you either go without it and
> also whatever it is that requires it, or you end up having to spend quite a bit
> of time installing all the modules present in the older version for the new
> version to support previously installed applications?

I would recommend using the new perl for new applications and leaving
the old one for the stuff that uses it that came with the OS, installing
the modules is not really, just so long as you have a reasonable network
connection:

  /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e'autobundle'

  <tum ti tum>

  Wrote bundle file
    /home/jonathan/.cpan/Bundle/Snapshot_2006_03_28_00.pm

  /usr/local/bin/perl -MCPAN -e'install "Bundle::Snapshot_2006_03_28_00"'

 <tum ti tum>

et voila!

You may have to edit the Bundle/Snapshot_2006_03_28_00.pm to get some
things in the right order if it gets confused about the dependencies but
that generally will work great.

/J\