Scandisk on a DVD

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Fri Feb 24 03:45:40 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:17:57AM +0000, michael wrote:
> Had a nice time at the pubmeet last night

Me too!

> Given that DVD's are fragile I should really periodically check that
> there OK is there a linux scandisk for this sort of thing?

Combining both of Rod's ideas, I'd go for something like:
  dd if=/dev/dvd | md5sum

to periodically check you can read the whole disk.  Comparing the
checksums over time gives you an extra sanity check.

> I've built an archive server with mirrored disks using rsync and set
> it up so it copys new and changed files to a diffs directory

As I mentioned last night, you might want to look at rsnapshot:
http://www.rsnapshot.org/

I've not actually tried anything I'm suggesting here, but it all seems
reasonable to me.  Free advice, eh?