[Memphis.pm] interesting "quine"

perl at erd3.com perl at erd3.com
Wed May 23 18:25:22 CDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Big Ed wrote:

> >From: sheff at pobox.com (Keith W. Sheffield) Reply-To: memphis-pm-list at pm.org
> >To: memphis-pm-list at pm.org Subject: Re: [Memphis.pm] interesting "quine"
> >Date: 22 May 2001 22:21:42 -0500

> > > A perl program that prints its own source code: to standard error! >
> >http://perl.plover.com/quine.html
> >
> > > -- > Brock Sides
> >
> >I wonder how many other cases exist where the error message can be the same
> >as the source code?
>
> So I'm curious.. why does it work?

The file name /tmp/p is taken as an attemp to divided something by the
variable 'tmp' the words in front of tmp ('Illegal division by zero at')
keep the /tmp/ from being interpreted as pattern matching.  So a file with
'test /tmp' in it will produce the same error message.

Reece Dike
reece at erd3.com

with 'unsubscribe memphis-pm-list' in the body of the message.