[Melbourne-pm] When your variables can't keep their types..

Andrew Pam andrew at sericyb.com.au
Sun Jun 5 18:30:51 PDT 2016

On 06/06/16 10:55, Simon Taylor wrote:
> The casual user has the right to expect that the stringification going
> on here will not affect $port
>
> We're used to it, but it doesn't make it good or sensible in my
> view... it just makes it something we're used to.

It's a classic mismatch of models.  In Perl, variables aren't really
supposed to be strongly typed, so there are bound to be problems when
you try to use them in a strongly typed way - which is where the
excellent suggestion of JSON::Typist makes sense.  JavaScript has
similar issues!

Cheers,
     Andrew