[Melbourne-pm] Looking for a (cheap) machine that provides 113-bit precision long double

sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 21 17:09:54 PST 2016

From: Mathew Robertson
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2016 10:45 AM
To: Melbourne Perl Mongers
Subject: Re: [Melbourne-pm] Looking for a (cheap) machine that provides
113-bit precision long double

> Are you simply trying to get more precision?

No, I just like fiddling about with different floating point types. It's
really no more than a case of "a very simple mind engaging in very simple
things".

I have various perls here that provide NV's with 53-bit, 64-bit, 106-bit and
113-bit precision.
The 113-bit precision NV is, however, of type __float128 - so I'm missing
the 113-bit precision long double NV, and having such a -Duselongdouble
build of perl would be a handy reference for me.

The qemu option appears to be unavailable on my Debian wheezy (ppc64) box,
as "update-binfmts --display | grep -i aarch" returns no matches. (Thanks
for the link to the wiki, Toby.)
I also checked on Ubuntu and, again, the command returned nothing.

Cheers,
Rob