[Melbourne-pm] Alpine Linux and Perl

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Thu Feb 4 18:37:13 PST 2016

Hi

Alpine Linux is an extremely-stripped-down Linux distro, with decent
package management. For my JVM-based apps, I can make an extremely compact
Docker image, and the less there is installed, the less there is to be
exploited.

Is anyone using Alpine Linux with Perl, and is building CPAN modules with
XS code?

I'm failing, because the Perl package it installs doen't contain neccesary
C header files.
I'm an Alpine novice though. I wondered if anyone else can save me time and
explain the required process.. if there is one?

Or maybe one just needs to build a statically linked Perl + all your
required packages outside of the container, and then shove the whole lot
inside?
(Not dissimilar to how a .jar works, or Go binaries, except it's a lot
easier with them!)

Toby