[Melbourne-pm] Perl Mongers in 2015...

Robert Norris rob at eatenbyagrue.org
Wed Jan 7 04:05:30 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015, at 01:11 PM, Mathew Robertson wrote:
> Can you provide an example comparing mod_perl+Plack vs say
> Starman+Plack ?

For a new app, I wouldn't touch mod_perl unless I was forced to for
some reason.

At FastMail our web middleware is all pure mod_perl handlers, but that's
only because mod_perl was just how you did large Perl applications when
we started back in 1999. Really though, we don't do anything fancy with
it, just request unpacking and dispatch. Any interesting HTTP-level
stuff happens in nginx.

New applications are all PSGI. The first was a REST API for some of our
account management services, and is Dancer+Starman. The most recent is
an image proxy, which is raw PSGI on Starlet. Both run behind nginx.
These days I'd be looking at Gazelle for the server, still behind nginx.

We're idly planning to move our primary stack off mod_perl, initially
using Plack::App::FakeApache. Its fairly low priority though because
we understood mod_perl and built tools to deal with the pointy bits
years ago.

So basically, if you have the choice and don't know that you want
mod_perl for some specific reason, go down the PSGI/Plack route.

Cheers, Rob N.