[Melbourne-pm] Module counts

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon Jun 10 23:25:00 PDT 2013

I confess to not having seen this site before:
http://modulecounts.com/

It's just a tracker for total number of packages on CPAN, and the
equivalents for other languages' centralised repositories.

These days, CPAN is ranked fifth, with the package sites for Java
(Maven), Ruby (Gems), Python (PyPi) and Node.js (npm) all ranking
higher. (Java and Ruby having more than double the number of CPAN packages!)

In Perl's defence, it is claimed that CPAN packages are more mature and
stable. ie. Quality over quantity. I haven't investigated to find out if
that's true though.

Does anyone here have experience with other sites who'd like to comment?

Cheers,
Toby