[Melbourne-pm] Which DB for local use only?

David Dick ddick at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 5 05:06:47 PDT 2013

On 08/05/2013 09:12 PM, Nathan Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I'm managing some data that I think would live better in a database
> than a CSV file. I'm thinking SQLite, but does anyone have a better
> suggestion?
>
> It will only have a few tables but rows will grow over time (probably c.
> 2-5,000 rows over the next year or two).

agreed on SQLite, but as an interesting point, postgres is the only
database i've found with a natural interface to backing up and restoring
from CSV files (MySQL requires bizarre MySQL only CSV escaping, SQLite
requires a separate library...).  If you have to move data back and
forward between CSV and your DB often, it might be worth looking at COPY
Support in DBD::Pg.