[Melbourne-pm] Three Projects

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Apr 12 18:30:29 PDT 2012

On 13/04/2012, at 11:19 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> Cool -- the BeagleBone looks pretty nifty.
> I've played around with one of Jon Oxer's LeoSticks a bit, and programming via C wasn't a problem for me..
> But some of the stuff I was trying to do really pushed the processor a bit hard.. Ended up with a lot of 8-bit-integer math in order to run fast enough, but that introduced rounding errors like crazy.
>
> In other words, more power would be great, and the 'Bone looks like it offers that.
>

> As far as the Perl library goes.. I was wondering if a blessed object is actually appropriate, or not?
> Since you only have one instance of the device available to a program, wouldn't a singleton object be a closer match to the hardware?
>
> I mean, it's not like you can do this:
>  use PerlBone;
>  my $bone = PerlBone->new(...);
>  my $otherbone = PerlBone->new(...);
>
> In which case, how about class methods?
>  use PerlBone qw(:DEFINES)
>  PerlBone->digitalWrite(13, PB_HIGH);

Yes you are right. Hadn't thought about it fully. Right now I am just polluting name space to look pretty compatible to Arduino. But your idea makes it even simpler, ie: just don't import :-)
>  use PerlBone qw(digitalWrite :DEFINES);
>  digitalWrite(13, PB_HIGH);

Yes I like it. A bit like you can do sets of items with autodie etc.

>> Cloud9
>>
>> With regards to PerlBone, the nice integration of BoneScript is that the
>> distributors have Cloud9 installed on the board. So you can edit and
>> execute code on the system. Someone has put some effort into run and
>> debug of NodeJS apps. There is some work on a Python plugin to run, and
>> I started playing with a Perl version - unsuccessfully so far, but
>> should be at least possible to do some basic run, compile checks etc.
>
> I hadn't actually heard of Cloud9.
> Their website says they support Perl? Or is that just meaning they do syntax highlighting?

They definitely support syntax highlighting. Not sure about run/debug. Didn't see it there.

>> http://scott.dd.com.au/wiki/PerlBone
>>

>> Julia vs PDL
>>
>> Anyone use PDL?
>
> No, but it's one of those things I keep thinking I should learn.
> Also "R".

Yes, Octave is nice. My maths is bad for a programmer, but it is slowly improving. My last few jobs has really pushed up the need for more maths. PDL has been very helpful.