[Melbourne-pm] Hello Melbourne

Jarrod Linahan jarrod.linahan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 05:44:44 PDT 2012

Hi all,

For those of us who haven't met, I'm Jarrod, a fairly new face at
Melbourne.PM.

I'm a geek at heart, and though I come from a relatively non-technical
background, I've spent the last few years trying to get my head around
programming and other IT related stuff.. In my free time you would most
likely find me attempting to get Perl to succumb to my whim or hanging
out somewhere on FreeNode.

To cut things short, I'm essentially looking for a foot in the door, and
I was wondering if anybody has or knows of a key that could open up this
new world for me. I'd love to take on programming as a career, but would
also enjoy doing some sysadmin work, both utilising my current skills,
and building upon them.

Would love to hear from anyone if they're keen to discuss anything further,

Cheers,

Jarrod.

__DATA__
Jarrod Ashley Linahan
3/357 St Georges Rd
Thornbury VIC, 3071
Melbourne, Australia
jarrod.linahan at gmail.com

=== Career Objective ===
I am seeking a position as a junior software developer in which I would
be able to utilise and expand my current knowledge base. A position that
involves some system administration would also be within my interest.

=== Skillset ===
* Operating Systems
     Linux Debian/RedHat, Windows 9x/XP/Vista/7/2000, Mac OSX
* Programming Languages
     PHP, Perl, JavaScript (jQuery/PrototypeJS), bash/sh
* Web Technology
     HTML(5)/XHTML, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS2/3), XML, JavaScript,
Catalyst (Perl), DHTML
* Systems Administration
     Iptables, Memcached, Samba, ssh/sshd, vim, vsftpd,
* Web Servers
     Apache, Nginx
* Databases
     MySQL, PostgreSQL
* Networking
     TCP/IP administration including UNIX/Linux,  Firewalling (iptables,
Linux rules*based firewall systems), Windows (Home network)

=== Experience ===
* Developer and System Administrator
     Shopz                   2011 - Present
     http://www.shopz.com.au/
     - Refactored front end website in PHP (Magento)
     - Developed admin web interface with Perl (Catalyst)

* Developer
     SMS My Customers        2011 - Present
     http://www.smsmycustomers.com.au
     - Developing the front end website in PHP for smsmycustomers.com.au
     - Developing the SMS backend gateway in Java

=== Education ===
Ballarat Secondary College
   Barkly Senior Campus      2008 - 2009

Australian Army Cadets