[Melbourne-pm] libwww and perl threads

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Dec 13 17:24:10 PST 2011

On 14/12/11 12:16, Simon Taylor wrote:
> Hi Toby,
>
>> Hi,
>> Has anyone here tried using libwww (ie. LWP::UserAgent and co) and
>> WWW::Mechanize via Perl threading?
>
> I haven't use these in a threaded environment, but have you seen these:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1843932/is-lwpuseragent-not-thread-safe
>
> http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=690985

Thanks Simon.

I know that Perl's threading implementation was completely overhauled a
while back, and I thought that in recent years it had bedded down quite
a lot.

The solution to post #1 seemed to be: Use Perl 5.10 or newer.
Post #2 was "don't use Thread::Pool, it's broken".

Interesting that some people there are mentioning that libwww is
pure-perl and thus innately thread-safe though. Supposedly..

thanks,
Toby