[Melbourne-pm] Error checks without packages

Mathew Robertson mathew.blair.robertson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:25:54 PDT 2011

On 2 August 2011 11:13, Tim Hogard <thogard at abnormal.com> wrote:

> > Hi Tim,
> > What are you looking to optimise here? It sounds like you're
> > concentrating on start-up/initialisation performance?
>
> Its a combo of things.  This thing needs to be audited so each line
> is extra money.  There is the performace issues as well when it
> gets hit hard.  The performace issue is also related to energy
> use since most of the time the overweight servers it runs on
> are doing nothing.  It also deals with real money so
> I must avoid unintended consequences.  And there is quite a
> bit of "old school programmer" asking "why is it doing that?"
>
> -tim

That provides so little helpful information...

Are you trying to optimise Perl VM startup time?
Are you dynamically loading/unloading modules?
Are you going to audit the whole of the Perl source code, as well as
modules?
If your disks are 99.99999% full, you have poor engineering practises - you
shouldn't be using truss, when you cant even handle a write of 6 bytes.

If you explain what you are attempting to achieve, we might be able to
provide more helpful responses.

cheers,
Mathew Robertson