[Melbourne-pm] Presentation tool that simulates typing on a tty...

Damian Conway damian at conway.org
Tue Apr 19 16:14:43 PDT 2011

Daniel Pittman asked:

> So, approximately forever ago I saw a presentation given by Damian, in
> which he used some presentation thingy that ran in a regular TTY and
> simulated typing input and obtaining output – typos included for free,
> but without the risk of actually typing yourself during a
> presentation.  (IIRC, it actually waited for a keypress to simulate
> each bit of the output, for extra verisimilitude.)

http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/IO-Prompter-0.001001/lib/IO/Prompter.pm#Simulating_input

The trick is to put a regular:

    use IO::Prompter;

at the top of your program and a sneaky:

    use IO::Prompter <<'END_OF_AUTOMATED_INPUT'
    This will be typed in automatically for you
    Et cetera
    Et cetera
    END_OF_AUTOMATED_INPUT

way down the bottom of the program (e.g. after a hundred empty lines),
where it will never appear on screen.

The IO::Prompter distribution includes a program: demo/demo_fake.pl
which illustrates the technique.

Damian