[Melbourne-pm] programming tutorials: Perl

Sam Watkins sam at nipl.net
Sun Nov 14 18:30:42 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 01:04:43PM +1100, john thornton wrote:
> As a beginner/tyro/novice at programming I would like to ask people on this
> list to do something for me. Could someone please look at the following site
> and tell me what they think of its introductory perl tutorials?"
>
>   http://showmedo.com/

hi Andrew,

I'm not sure about showmedo, they may be okay for an introduction.

I'd like to recommend the following 'course notes' for learning perl:

  http://perltraining.com.au/notes.html

written by our very own Melbourne perl experts / trainers Paul and Jacinta
(and friends), you may find them on this list!

Also, please consider learning the basics of a few similar languages such as
python, ruby, php and lua.  This way, you will be able to find which languages
suit you best or are to your taste.  You will also see that these languages
have very much in common, and that it's pretty easy to pick up a new
programming language once you have one under your belt.

I like the syntax and 'cleanness' of python, and I like the richness and the
community of perl.  I also like the speed of C!  So I use and learn from
several languages, while hacking together my own!

Good luck!  and don't be shy to ask questions here.

Sam