[Melbourne-pm] Still performing well..

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon May 17 23:04:47 PDT 2010

On 18/05/10 15:28, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Toby Corkindale<toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au>  writes:
>
>> After the last Perlmongers meeting I was curious to benchmark Perl vs Go vs
>> Scala in more than just a trivial case.
>>
>> I setup a test to read in a large CSV file, performing some minor numeric and
>> text manipulation upon each row, and outputing the results.
>
> When you say "large", do you mean 1MB, 10MB, 1GB, 1TB?

Uh, 10,000 lines + header.

> I suspect that you will find the figures change relationship a little as you
> go up the first few orders of magnitude.

Repeating test with 100,000 lines + header, we get:

Perl - 10.962 sec
Scala - 13.31 sec
Go - 16.77 sec

How curious.. Perl and Go scaled linearly with the size of the dataset,
but Scala didn't. Now repeating the test with 1,000,000 rows.

Also including resident memory size this time..

Perl - 111.3 sec  (~6 MB)
Scala - 115.5 sec (~73 MB)
Go - 154.3 sec (~2 MB)

How curious. It looks like Scala would overtake Perl if we upped the
magnitude one more time!