[Melbourne-pm] perl6.org

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Fri May 14 05:04:14 PDT 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> On 12/05/10 14:09, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010, Toby Corkindale wrote:
>>
>>> They're not kidding about the performance of Perl6 being.. poor.. at
>>> the moment:
>>
>> The good news is, they put almost no time into optimisation, so there's
>> plenty of room for improvement :). I'm personally waiting for Rakudo
>> Start (June, IIRC) before I give it another go.
>
> How are the supporting libraries going?

 	I haven't been following much since February (excpet the mailing
list).  The people on #perl6 on Freenode are usually helpful (at the right
time of day :) ).  Having said that, I'll try to answer.

 	The answer is: not very well.  I think the big holdup is that the
thing that makes Parrot work with C-based libraries is not automatic (ie. you
have to hand code in a parrot-specific language for each library).  When that
becomes automatic, then things should take off in that area.

> I mean, if I want to try out Perl6, has anyone ported DBI, libwww, Text::CSV
> and XML::LibXML over yet?

 	Having said that, I know that Dave Rolsky is working with the P6 team
to redesign DateTime from the ground up, and that will probably be coming
along well.  In theory Tim Bunce is also designing DBI 2.0 to work with Perl
6, but I haven't heard about that in a while.

> I tried perldoc-ing on my new Rakudo build, but couldn't find anything that
> seemed to be perl6-ish.

 	I don't understand what you're saying.

 	HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |