[Melbourne-pm] perl6 meeting

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Tue May 11 23:49:38 PDT 2010

Hey Guys

Just wanted to say good luck tonight. Unfortunately I can't make it, I would love to be there for a Perl 6 meeting, I really dig perl 6.

Some useful things:

* Yes you need subversion for automatic Parrot build, or you can manually download/build parrot then you do not need network access
* Download / Git checkout perl6-examples - http://github.com/perl6/perl6-examples - you can get commit access on this, or pass any examples to me and I can upload
* For modules (ala a baby type of CPAN) Download / Git checkout proto - http://github.com/masak/proto
	It has linked lots of modules:
		see - http://github.com/masak/proto/blob/master/projects.list
	Which also is a useful link to see what modules are really available and working for Perl 6
	No DBI sorry, but SQLite apparently works (not one I have tried)
* Checkout http://november-wiki.org/ - a wiki written in perl6

As for performance. Yes, bad... but I have started using Perl 6 for scripts - as 99% of the ones I write are either through away, or if they take 4 seconds in stead of .4 seconds, doesn't really matter.

Some links are here - http://scott.dd.com.au/wiki/Perl6
And a basic file read, word wrap example - http://scott.dd.com.au/wiki/Perl_6_Examples_File

Good luck.

Scot