[Melbourne-pm] perl6.org

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue May 11 21:12:13 PDT 2010

On 12/05/10 12:43, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> This isn't going well.
> I went to http://dev.perl.org/perl6/
> Then I clicked on the link to "Perl 6 site", which went to
> http://perl6.org/, which redirected to http://feather.perl6.nl/syn/
> Which failed to load.
>
> I tried going to Pugs, which was linked as "Try Perl 6 today!", which
> goes to www.pugscode.org, which fails to load too.
>
> I am now at http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/downloads which at least
> loads; we'll see how well it compiles.

It compiled OK, but note that it required network access during the
build process, and also required that subversion was installed.

They're not kidding about the performance of Perl6 being.. poor.. at the
moment:

$ time ./hello.pl
Hello earth
Hello sky

real	0m0.021s
user	0m0.016s
sys	0m0.008s

$ time ./hello.p6
Hello earth.
Hello sky.

real	0m2.075s
user	0m1.928s
sys	0m0.140s

On the other hand, it seems to be doing slightly better than Scala :)
$ time scala HelloScala
Hello earth
Hello sky

real	0m2.178s
user	0m2.192s
sys	0m0.108s

And for good measure, here's Google's Go language:
$ time ./6.out
Hello earth.
Hello sky.

real	0m0.002s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.000s

None of these are terribly good performance tests though.. they're more
a measure of the start-up time! Go has none, since it's compiled to
native code.. perl5 is interpreted, but otherwise written in native
code. Both Scala and Perl6 are running on bytecode VMs.