[Melbourne-pm] Melbourne Perl Mongers, TONIGHT, 6:30pm, Queen Street

Sam Watkins sam at nipl.net
Tue May 11 20:15:43 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:59:29AM +1000, Paul Fenwick wrote:
> G'day everyone!
>
> A reminder that the next Melbourne Perl Mongers meeting is TONIGHT, hosted
> by Multiservice (courtesy of Hamish Carpenter):
>
> 	Multiservice
> 	Level 12
> 	10-16 Queen Street
> 	Melbourne 3000
>
> The meeting starts at 6:30pm, but doors lock at 6pm, so look out for a
> note on the door as to what number to ring to be let in, or get there early
> so you don't need to worry about calls.
>
> Tonight we have Sam Watkins talking about mark-down HTML generators, and
> Alec Clews tentatively leading (or discussing) a Perl 6 workshop.  BYO
> laptop and Internet access.  :)

Hi guys,

First, can anyone bring a 3.5mm to 3xRC AV cable to the talk?  I left mine at
home, and I'd rather not have to buy another or go home first.

Some great news today for free software, the humble indie games bundle has made
over $1,000,000 in a week, and to say thanks they are open sourcing Lugaru,
Gish, Penumbra: Overture and Aquaria.  These four just became my top four
favourite open source games.  This is the best news for free software I've
heard this year.  You can still buy the bundle if you didn't already, google
"humble indie bundle" as for some stupid reason the spam filter is rejecting my
email if I include the URL to the wolfire page.

I think I'll demo my markdown thing using my phone (Nokia n900) it should plug
into the projector ok if I have a suitable cable.

The phone itself is more interesting than my talk!  Anyone else has a phone
clocked to 1.2Ghz with Debian Linux, X11, perl, python, ruby, gcc, quake 3,
etc?  :)  It runs brace my programming language nicely, and my graphics demos.

I'm seriously thinking to start a business selling n900+ phones, I'd buy n900s
and set them up with heaps of games, programs, emulators, overclockable kernel,
fix the partitions, provide rescue images and support, maybe an android dual
boot, etc.  I reckon there'd be a market for that even among hackers as it's a
bit complicated setting all that up!  but I have scripted most of it, in case I
brick my phone again!

Sam