[Melbourne-pm] Apache re-write help

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Sun Feb 21 21:55:47 PST 2010

G'day folk,

I don't have much experience with Apache, but I need to rewrite some URLs.  At
the moment I have url like:

http://some.example.com/documents/features?title=some+title&venue=some+venue

The problem is that all statistics for this hit, and for all other titles/venues
are all assigned to the features page (obviously).  What I would like to do is
change the code to generate something like:

	http://some.example.com/documents/features/some+title/some+venue

and then Rewrite it back into the GET request so that the server still calls the
correct script (there's more than one) with the correct arguments.  It seems
intuitively correct that this will then result in hits to these pages being
counted separately.

I think what I need is to add this to my .htaccess file

	RewriteEngine on
	RewriteRule ^features/([^/]+)/([^/])+/?$  features?title=$1&venue=$2 [L]

Does that seem sane?  Or have I misunderstood how this should work?

Thanks,