[Melbourne-pm] Google Wave Anyone?

Michael Potter megamic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 23:41:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

> Michael Potter <megamic at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>
> wrote:
> >> Toby Wintermute <tjc at wintrmute.net> writes:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >
> >> with all the built-in attributes and corresponding traits.. but I'm >
> >> curious to know what everyone else thinks of Moose.  > > It's evidently
> >> superior to Perl's existing OO framework, which has been > showing it's
> age
> >> and tacked-on-afterwards feel for a long time..
> >>
> >> Well, Moose is pretty much just syntax sugar and convention, sitting
> over
> >> the top of the traditional Perl OO design.
> >
> > Err....no. Moose allows for idioms that are rarely if ever used in
> > conventional Perl OO programming.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> > For example composition/delegation, method currying, built in type
> > definition and validation, attribute traits, roles, full meta-class
> > reflection and so much more.
>
> ...but all of those are *possible* with standard Perl OO, right?

*anything* is possible in Perl5 OO. Even Moose ;-)

My point was Moose will encourage people to use idioms that they would
otherwise probably never even hear of. I had never come across many of the
concepts in Moose (such as method currying) that I now use on a daily basis
in code that small, maintainable and light-years head of what I used to
write.

Some features (like type validation or attribute declaration) are available
in other modules or frameworks and commonly used, however others (like roles
and traits) provide a new capability that completely change how you approach
a problem with OO. Evil multiple-inheritance be gone with you!