[Melbourne-pm] FW: Bamboozled by perl

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Oct 1 22:51:19 PDT 2009

Hi John!

See below for my response.

On Friday 02 Oct 2009 06:37:15 ajthornton wrote:
> [...]

Cool. I tried Prolog too a while ago, but I could not find a decent online
tutorial. The closest I found was http://www.learnprolognow.org/ , but it had
a lot of typos and missing stuff. So I have temporarily given up on it.

> BTW
> when I was at Software Freedom Day I didn't see a Perl stand. That was a
> pity because at least you would have got in a lightning talk about
>  perl/perl groups.
>
> I really missed the bus with programming. If I were 18 0r 20 right now I
> would go to uni or TAFE and get a Bsc in computer science. But I was in the
> wrong era. It was 1992. I left school computer illiterate. I couldn't turn
>  a computer on or put a disk in the disk drive. I failed reasoning and data
>  maths [the worst freaking unit of maths ever clunked together by
>  eduational eggheads - teachers treated it like it was an insult to teach
>  it; "that's a year 8 maths unit" was said so often, never mind that a
>  chapter had calculus so difficult in the Rehill/macauliffe book that you
>  wouldn't do it until the later years of an undergraduate maths program ,
>  if then, oh man that was so all over the shop that I wondered what the
>  hell I had done in a previous life to deserve such tripe.] because I
>  couldn't operate a computer and use Minitab. Then the teacher came up with
>  this psychobabble that I was "technophobic". There was no notion of
>  responsibility in teaching computers. For a start what about giving me a
>  mouse???

Interesting. Did you graduate from Uni in 1992 or from high school? In any
case, I should note that with the right attitude and spirit, it's never too
late to learn new things and become proficient in programming or almost
anything else. See for example:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/advice-for-the-young/

(also see the links)

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/education/introductory-
language/

(short URL - http://shlom.in/intro-lang )

> But like I said, I am going to try to like Perl. It must have something
> going for it if it's included off the bat in PuppyLinux.

The reason is probably because /usr/bin/perl is part of the Linux Standard
Base:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb

And it is used extensively by many scripts and other programs on Linux because
writing scripts in Perl 5 is much more robust than writing them in
shell/sed/awk and Python cannot effectively be used from the command-line
(i.e: like {{{ perl -e '....' }}}).

Reportedly, the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) people decided to avoid having to
install Perl and they ran into many problems with programs that implicitly
required /usr/bin/perl.

> At least programming is something tnat can be learnt. There's stuff that's
> "you have got it or you haven't". Music and drawing certainly fit that
> category. Maths probably does. But I do think that anyone can program. Some
> people might be better at it etc. But anyone can learn to do it. Unlike
> other things. I could plaster a blackboard with power series in maths. But
> give me year 6 primary school maths problem solving and I am stuffed. Once
>  I had a third year maths unit where I got 90 percent for texbook work and
>  10 percent for probalem solving and passed with 56%. I don't know what
>  lateral thinking means. Indeed Edward De Bono probably meant it in a
>  different way to how it is used now. But I am convinced in any case that I
>  have the lateral thinking ability of a pile of cement. In problam solving
>  it's where to start that kills me. Often I don't get past that pt - a
>  blank sheet of paper.

Welcome aboard! But don't underestimate yourself.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish