[Melbourne-pm] Bamboozled by perl

andrew Dent sgc294 at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 1 20:21:38 PDT 2009

G'day John

You have two choices.
1. Fix up the Windows File Types so that file extensions with .pl are
executed with the perl.exe binary
or
2. Use this syntax to run your .pl files at a command prompt.
perl perlme.pl

Hints:
1. You can use the "Folder Options"->"File Types" tool from Windows
Explorer to do this, or the command line
Oddly enough the dos command used to set this up called ftype has
instructions to setup .pl and Perl in its helpfile that is embedded into
Windows.
Type
  ftype /?
to see the help file. You'll need to ensure your PATH environment
variable is setup to point to eh Strawberry Perl binary.

2. Make sure that the path to your Strawberry Perl installation is
included in your PATH environment variable.
Type set PATH at a command prompt.
If you see C:\strawberry\perl\bin; in the output (our something
different depending on where you loaded Strawberry Perl into) then your
ok. Otherwise edit your PATH variable via Control Panel.

Cheers

Andrew