[Melbourne-pm] Bamboozled by perl

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Thu Oct 1 20:18:39 PDT 2009

ajthornton wrote:
>             So I started with my main online PC [this one: a dual booted
> Windows XP/kubuntu 9.04 box] and found strawberry perl. Downloaded starberry
> perl, it pops up in -v in windows cmd line, and has the cpan etc things
> [whatever cpan is] in the program list. So I got out notepad and cut and
> pasted a program into notepad++:
>
>             #!/usr/local/bin/perl
> #
> # Program to do the obvious
> #
> print 'Hello world.';		# Print a message
>

>             ***
>                Then I saved this as perlme.pl and put it in the Perl bin
> part of strawberry dir [I don't why this usually works - but I did find with
> Ruby that I have to whack the sourcew code file into the bin folder for the
> program to work on command line]. So I went to cmd in windows and typed
> perlme.pl and windows notepad appears with the entire raw sourcecode in it.
> Not the desired outcome. Then I search for forums. There is so much stuff on
> the net that I am bamboozled and forums for beginners appear to be lost in
> the fog.

Hi John,
You don't need, or want, to put your perlme.pl in the perl bin directory.
Please take it out, and save it somewhere else.. Maybe "My
Documents/perl" or something like that?

Then fire up the windows command line, as you did before, and navigate
to where you saved the program.

Now type:
perl perlme.pl

This should run your program as desired.

>             OK. If anyone feels that as a beginner that I am intruding on
> the list I will say this much: [1] the above pt is where more people give up
> a programming language entirely - no contest - they can't get perl-v to pop
> up in the command line, basically can't get the car to start. [2] Some of
> you teach Perl. The above is pretty much the thought process of someone who
> tries perl for about the first 5 mins.
>
>             I have lost count of the number of languages that I have
> downloaded the guts of it and gone cmd/language blahblah -v and seen "file
> not recognised" and turned my back on it. There is a reason why I use mainly
> IDEs. My track record for getting command line programming to work is pretty
> lousy. I have Netbeans. IDE. I have QT4. IDE. I have Pelles. IDE. So if
> somebody can come up with a Perl IDE, yeah, I will use that.

Perhaps you might like to try reading some of the tutorials geared
towards using Perl on Windows?

I notice this guy has a few..
http://damienlearnsperl.blogspot.com/

He also mentions "Padre" which is a development environment for Perl on
Windows. Maybe you'd be more familiar with that?

Cheers, and best of luck,
Toby