[Melbourne-pm] Authentication ?

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Mon Mar 30 03:09:08 PDT 2009

----- "Stephen Steneker" <stephen at sydney.pm.org> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I'd suggest mod_auth_tkt :
>   http://openfusion.com.au/labs/mod_auth_tkt/
>
> "mod_auth_tkt hands off the authentication and authorisation problem
>
> to the URL of your choice. This means that you can use whatever
> technology (CGI, Perl, PHP, ASP, Java etc.) and whatever repositories
>
> (passwd files, LDAP, NIS, RDBMS, radius, or any combination thereof)
>
> you like - as long as the authorising page or script generates a valid
>
> ticket for a valid user everything should work just fine."
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen

Hi Stephen

The above looks perfect for the apache module. But to be frank that is the easiest part. I have written many of those, and there are a few CPAN modules to do it too (although I really like this one from my quick read, as it looks like it is done right, and many are not).

The hard part (well maybe just for me because I know one bit and not the other) is the other parts:

* Validated self registration
* 3rd party login
* Recover password
* etc.

Each bit of my problem is really not hard, and I have written them all before, but I don't want to write them again :-)

But thanks for the link - I think it is a good choice for the Apache module.

Ta