[Melbourne-pm] .desktop viruses [OT]

Sam Watkins sam at nipl.net
Tue Jun 2 01:04:25 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 04:36:40PM +1000, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> Attempting to run the file brings up a great big warning message and
> doesn't actually run the file!

It doesn't give any warnings for me. If I download it then click on it
in the file manager, or if I get it as an attachment, save it then click
on it.  Other people are taking this threat seriously and writing papers
about it so I guess it is a threat.

This is what happens when you click my link in firefox 3:

  http://sam.nipl.net/xwd.png

You then choose where to save it, or it will be saved on your DESKTOP by
default for many people.  Then you click it on the desktop or in
konqueror etc, and your disk gets hosed, your passwords and possibly
your money get stolen, and you friends get a chance to have a virus too.
well not in this case, but that's the point.

here is the link again:

  http://sam.nipl.net/firefox.desktop

Also linked from http://sam.nipl.net/ now at the bottom right if you
want to try clicking it in konqueror (3.4.2 does not give any warning,
just lets you save it and then run it).

> Please cease this FUD!

<expletives deleted>

Sam