[Melbourne-pm] finding the ip address of the web client

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Feb 9 18:01:57 PST 2009

Andrew Dent <sgc294 at internode.on.net> writes:

> That works great, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
>
> None of our clients will be behind remote proxies for internal
> traffic.  These sites are only visible internally and not to the
> external internet.  There are multiple internal DNS Servers managed by
> the corporate IT, so they "should be" trustworthy for internal reverse
> lookup.
>
> One thing that might break the solution is trying to access these
> queries via VPN.

*nod* I would advise using some sort of secure authentication, and then
role or user based authorization, rather than using IP address, to
address this issue.

That also solves the problem of your boss being called to a meeting out
of state and needing a copy of one of the reports while he is there...

Regards,
        Daniel